[Florence & the Machine photo by Ivan Jones]
We know, we know–the idea of diving into a digital magazine is still foreign to most of you. Hell, you might even equate it with something as stale as ‘perusing a PDF’. Not true, kids. And goddammit, we’re not willing to accept no as an answer this time; not when self-titled just unveiled a complete redesign that shifts our focus to massive, monitor-friendly photos and the kind of features you’ll never read on a regular Web site. Or in a ‘real’ magazine for that matter, since many of the good ones have fallen prey to the print industry’s ongoing money problems.
Here’s the breakdown this time around:
- Kim Taylor Bennett hunted Florence and the Machine down as she finished her tabloid-baiting, chart-climbing debut, Lungs.
- We asked Telepathe to interview one of their major influences, GZA of the Wu-Tang Clan, who basically turned the conversation into a cut Coffee & Cigarettes scene.
- Patrick Wolf assumed the position for one of our invasive but intriguing Q&A sessions.
- Lockett Pundt of Deerhunter and Lotus Plaza shared his private portfolio.
- Sunn O))) explained the finer points–like what’s up with the hooded Hungarian–of their most accessible album yet, Monoliths & Dimensions.
- Amazing Baby drank a lot of micro-brewed beer with us, then rated ’em all.
- Tobacco of Black Moth Super Rainbow explained his creepy approach to album art design.
- We applied a romance novel theme to this issue’s Lib Service, then asked Pink Mountaintops to fill in the blanks.
- Daedelus and his wife, Laura Darlington–a.k.a. the vocalist in his beat-driven folk project, The Long Lost–played the Newlywed Game with us.
- Faris Rotter of The Horrors drew us a picture while listening to the new Blank Dogs LP.
Like what you see? Our next issue’s on the way in late September, with stories on HEALTH, Girls, Warp‘s 20th anniversary, Miles Anthony Benjamin Robinson and many more. Not to mention some serious multimedia content.
In the meantime, we’ve got autographed Florence vinyl to give away next week, so start studying up on that story now…